Audrey's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: fiction, did-not-will-not-finish, britannia, crime-fiction
Read on December 26, 2010

Cute mystery. The narrator, 11 year-old Flavia de Luce, has the voice of a 60 year old upper-class Englishman who came of age when Queen Victoria was still alive. Flavia is obsessed with chemistry, and exalts its beauties every chance she gets. There are some references to Sherlock Holmes, which is not surprising, as the author is a huuuuuge fan.

A little twee, but not annoyingly so.

However, I could not finish it. I read the first hundred pages and decided that I don't really care enough to continue. It's a very classic whodunnit, and if you like Agatha Christie, etc., you'd probably like this too, but it's not really my taste.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna I have come to the understanding that every single mystery book has at least 3 references to Sherlock Holmes whether it knows it or not. ooo lemme look this up... HAHA he cowrote Ms Holmes of Baker Street which is kinda slashy... well a bit queer in that it plays around with gender a bit , saying Sherlock was a woman and all.

message 2: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey i don't remember charlaine harris's books referencing sherlock! do you? then again i wasn't paying any attention at the time.
have you read his sherlock holmes book?