Jennifer's Reviews > My Abandonment

My Abandonment by Peter Rock

920076
Dec 23, 10

Read from December 20 to 21, 2010

I learned of this book from a list in The Oregonian of the top ten books by Oregon authors at the end of 2009. I quite enjoyed that I could identify the book's geographical locations and found it gave the story more depth for me.

A 13-year-old girl is found living with her dad in the middle of Forest Park, an urban park here in Portland that covers more than 5000 acres and contains more than 40 miles of trails. It's really a hiker-biker-runners paradise if you don't mind getting a little muddy most of the year. These two have chosen to live off-the-grid and upon discovery are questioned extensively to determine whether there's been any sort of abuse. They truly just want to be left alone and there is nothing untoward in their relationship.

I enjoyed hearing how they lived and remained unspotted for so long, how they made their shelter and home. I also liked that the story was told from the girl's point-of-view. That being said, the dad did get a little whacked out as the story unfolded and I found myself uncomfortable and almost unsympathetic to the daughter who just followed along, never questioning his decisions. Like the one that found them in the middle of a blizzard, completely, inadequately prepared.

I wish the author would have spent a little time on what made them live in the park in the first place. References are made to the girl's deceased mother, creating more mystery. The story is based on actual events but about halfway through the book, the author takes the characters on a path different than their true-life counterparts.

Ultimately I could only give this one three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Abandonment.