Stephen's Reviews > Four Miles to Pinecone

Dec 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: teen-reads, books-read-in-2010
Read on December 20, 2010

This is a boy scout of a book. By that I mean its well intentioned and certainly an adequate read but not at all spectacular. The writer's conciet is that this story is being written by a high schooler who has failed English and is making up for it by writing a 48 page paper between his sophomore and junior years. Well, the book is sophomoric in spots. The story moves right along. The plot details are all there and it does give an interesting picture of what one young man may have felt about coming of age in Minnesotta in the 1970's. However the story feels more dated than that.

I read this book because I was looking to become more familiar with a juvenile voice, hopefully from the midwest and if that voice were unhappy and a bit morally challenged, even better. For those reasons, reading this was a sucess and it was well written enough to not be a hardship, but this is NOT a book that will encourage a reluctant teen reader to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Miles to Pinecone.

12/20/2010 page 64
50.0% "Got this book because I wanted to read something from a young deliquint's perspective. Not quite what I expected but interesting so far."