Cinnamon's Reviews > Entice

Entice by Carrie Jones

Dec 24, 10

bookshelves: own, young-adult, faeries, shapeshifters, series, 2010, reviewed, fantasy, flamingnet, 3-mildly-enjoyable
Read from December 23 to 24, 2010

This review may also be found on A Thousand Little Pages.

3.5/5

Various predicaments have presented themselves to Zara since the death of her stepfather and the unwilling move to Bedford, Maine that followed. There is, of course, the whole pixie situation, but now Nick, her boyfriend and warrior werewolf, is gone, too. Zara, heartbroken and determined, allows the pixie king Astley to transform her into a pixie herself as a last resort to aid in the quest to retrieve Nick. The problem is: the only leads they have are the words of a disdainful Valkyrie and the existence of a mythical place -- Valhalla, said to be the ruling place of the Norse god, Odin. As Zara and the crew continue to search for more clues, evil pixies led by the newly appearing king, Frank, are kidnapping boys left and right. Zara, now the Queen of King Astley, also faces entirely new problems as her relationship with Astley and the trust of her friends are brought into jeopardy by these recent turn of events. However, Zara is nothing if not stubborn, and she will not rest until Nick is safely returned to Bedford.

As I read each of the Need books one after the other, the growth of the author was especially evident. Descriptions of the background and setup of each place, which were lacking in the first two books of this series, are found embedded throughout Entice, creating an even more realistic world for the reader. I adore the steadily increasing plot complications, too. A series that started out with a relatively simple concept -- eliminate the evil pixies and their violent ways -- has successfully morphed into an intense story involving mythical places and the existence of benevolence in an initially evil species.

Young adult books nowadays all seem to contain the classic love triangle scenario, and this book is not an exception. There does seem to be an almost two-dimensional quality to Zara and Nick’s relationship, though. Why are they even in love? I suppose there was a time limit on the development of their relationship since Nick was whisked away to Valhalla so soon after the series started. On the other hand, the author did a great job with Zara and Astley, whose relationship is multi-faceted and angst-filled enough to keep me interested. It also seems obvious who Zara will choose at the end, if one were to observe the popular trend followed by other YA novels. But who knows? Maybe Carrie Jones will spring out a surprise for us at the end of the series.

Entice is packed with action and is easily my favorite book out of the Need series so far. I will be looking forward to the next installment of the series.

Book Source: Review Copy via Flamingnet

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Very nice. I enjoyed Captivate more than Need when I read it. Is this one good?

Cinnamon This is probably going to end up as my favorite book of the series. There's a lot more action.
Btw, I love your blog name ^^

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay, I look forward to it then - and thank you. I luff cinnamon and writing so it only made sense...plus I like to nom on cinnamon sticks. Nom nom nom.

Cinnamon Omnomnom. I love food:). Ok, moving on...
You watch Korean dramas? (from recent blog post, not being a stalker here...) Huh-lloooo fellow drama-addict.

Sandy Just curious...do you think Zara will end up with Astley?

I thought Need was okay, but Carrie Jones hooked me with Captivate because of Astley. I thought his character was sensational and kept things interesting. Entice was a great read because there was so much Astley.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I find Nick a little irritating, so I wouldn't mind if she ended up with Astley. I agree that Captivate hooked me whereas Need was just all right.

Cinnamon I'm guessing that Zara will end up with Nick, although I do prefer Astley more, too. The author's probably going with the "love conquers all obstacles" angle for Zara and Nick...
And I agree, Astley is a great character -- a lot more interesting than Nick.