Sandy's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Sep 30, 2011

bookshelves: can-t-stop-thinking-about, chemistry-sigh, favorite-character, favorites, i-own, premise-i-love, read-in-2011
Read on September 29, 2011

Even. Better. Than. Anna.

And that's saying something.

I knew I was going to love this from the moment I read the blurb. Cricket is an inventor (and so is the hubby--25 patent applications, thank you very much). It takes place in San Francisco (which is our city). And Stephanie Perkins wrote it (and we all know her words are magic. MAGIC! Everything she writes is oozing with amazingness.)

Lola surpasses all expectations. When you read these words, you FEEL everything. Lola's embarrassment, her sadness, her longing...and the sparks every time Cricket touches her. How does Stephanie Perkins weave these spells? I can't remember the last time I felt quite like this reading a book...this heart all a-flutter feeling where you're holding your breathe waiting for them to touch. Oh, wait--I can. It was when I read Anna and the French Kiss.

Lola is a story of finding yourself, and finding the one you love. And Stephanie Perkins writes chemistry like no other. Sigh.

I can't wait to see what Stephanie has in store for Isla, and she uses the events in Lola to set the scene perfectly for Isla to ensure all our favorite characters will be back.

Go read this book. And then read it again because that's what I'm going to do right now. (I swear, this book must be laced with some kind of addictive substance...or else Stephanie Perkins' pacing and characters and writing are PERFECT.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Quotes Sandy Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”
Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door

Stephanie Perkins
“I draw him closer by his tie and whisper into his ear, "Cricket Bell, I have been in love with you for my entire life.”
Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door

09/29/2011 "This cover is even cuter in person. I'm in love." 2 comments
09/30/2011
100.0% "So dreamy and swoony and funny and sweet. Stephanie Perkins' words are magical."

Cindy Sounds really good! great review:)

message 2: by joy (last edited Sep 30, 2011 12:31PM) (new) - added it

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* well, now i can't wait!!

"oozing with amazingness?" fabulous.

Andi (Andi's ABCs) You completely summed up everything I felt about Lola. I read it months ago and couldn't say much without giving it away, but you nailed it! Such an amazing review. :)

Shelley Sandy, it is so good. I am 1/2 way thru and am a blubbering idiot. Not sleeping until I am done.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Not going to read or vote on this review just yet, b/c I'm still one of those sad souls that haven't even read ANNA yet, but I'm getting closer: I found a cheap copy at one of the Borders closing sales. :)

message 6: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Oh, it's always so great when you can love a book this much. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Sandy I'm so happy everyone's enjoying Lola!

Angela, I'd love to hear what you think of Lola and Anna. YA contemporary romance isn't really my thing, but Stephanie Perkins manages to perfectly capture the sweetness and awkwardness of first love. Her characters are so quirky and authentic and delightfully flawed.

(Off to see if Shelley wrote a review...)

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela @Sandy: I haven't heard a single person I know *not* like Anna and the French Kiss, including those that, like you, aren't that inclined toward YA contemporary romance. Just like all of the other books on our shelves, I hope I'll make it to it sometime soon....

Sophie Riggsby LOVED it, too. For just about the same reasons...add to it that I went to Cal and ate at Blondie's more times than I can count. Such a realistic portrayal of the-guy-who-is-right-for-you-but-you-may-not-be-ready-for-him...yet.

Arlene Yay! So glad you loved it Sandy. I'm looking forward to Isla too! Can't wait. Beautiful review! :)

Sandy Thanks, Arlene! Your review was fantastic!

Cindy I loved this one even more than the first. Made me homesick for the City!(so much so I looked it up on line lol)It is addictive I think I will go re-read it too! Loved it! Great review!!

message 13: by Lis (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lis Yay!! I'm so glad I've found someone who loves Lola and Cricket as much as I do! (I also liked this one better than Anna, though both are top notch! :)