Terri's Reviews > Incarceron

Dec 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian, fiction, young-adult
Read from December 20 to 23, 2010

Finn has always been in the Prison. To be born, to suffer, and to die in Incarceron is the fate of all the prisoners. But Finn has memories, memories of a world and things that can’t possibly exist anywhere in Incarceron, that come in flashes and send him into epileptic fits. Finn believes he was born Outside, and he’s desperate for answers. When he acquires a crystal key that lets him talk to the Warden’s daughter, Claudia, Finn believes he’s finally found the way to follow Sapphique, the only prisoner ever known to have escaped Incarceron. Outside, Claudia is embroiled in her own intrigues to learn the secrets of Incarceron and her mysterious father, the Warden.

Incarceron was a compelling book and an interesting read. Fisher paced the book well; I felt like I learned the right pieces of information at the right times, and I was able to enjoy the book, although not with the devouring hunger to get to the end that I felt when I read The Hunger Games or InsideOUT. (Am I ever going to read another dystopian YA novel again without feeling it can’t compare to those?!) Fisher switched between the third person limited POVs of Finn and Claudia, which was fine. I felt she could’ve made the snatches longer. You would get one chapter of Finn, one of Claudia, and back and forth, but the length wasn’t consistent. The book felt choppy because just as I would get my head wrapped around what Finn was discovering, I was off into Claudia’s world, and then I was back again. If she had made the POVs shift every two or three chapters, it would’ve been more succinct, and flowed much better.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and I’ve already downloaded the sequel for the Kindle. It’s $5.49 on Amazon, which is pretty good, so if you like dystopian, you should give it a read. It won’t knock you down with its brilliance, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Cross posted at my book blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarceron.