Meagan's Reviews > Juliet

Juliet by Anne Fortier

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: book_club, fiction, historical-fiction
Read from March 24 to April 12, 2011

I read a blurb on this book somewhere that described it as a feminine Da Vinci Code, and to a certain extent I think that's pretty accurate. It deals less with visual clues and puzzles, instead leading the reader through the story by using journals, letters, etc. But both books involve a main character searching for deeper truth behind commonly held beliefs. In Juliet's case Giulietta Tolomei, a descendant of the original Juliet's twin sister, is learning the true story of her ancestor, learning the truth about her family, and trying to end the "curse on both your houses."

This book was a slow starter for me, and it wasn't until about halfway through that I really began to feel engaged with the story. After the halfway point, all sorts of things pick up, including the climax of the Romeo & Juliet story, a burgeoning modern romance, a relatively mellow suspense, and family drama. If you can handle a slow build-up and are a big fan of all things Italian, or if you just love the tragic love story of Romeo & Juliet, this may be for you. Others may be left scratching their heads a bit by the way characters change their minds and habits in an instant, or by the way they're so often swept along with events rather than working to influence them. An enjoyable read, but I feel like it had potential to be really thrilling, but never quite made it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet.