Jo's Reviews > Sufficient Grace

Sufficient Grace by Darnell Arnoult

Apr 30, 10

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, southern-lit, finished-2007-before-goodreads, fiction, southernlitgroupread, finished-2010, own
Recommended for: Everyone and those who love Southern Lit.
Read in August, 2007, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** From the back cover of my copy:
"Set against the backdrop of two neighboring Southern towns, Sufficient Grace is the powerful, affecting story of two families over the course of a year, from one Easter season to the next."

One quiet spring day, Gracie Hollaman hears voices in her head that tell her to get in her car and leave her entire life behind - her home, her husband, her daughter, her very identity. Gracie's subsequent journey releases her genius for painting and effects profound changes in the lives of everyone around her.

A spellbinding work, Sufficient Grace explores the power of personal transformation and redemption, and the many ordinary and extraordinary ways they come to pass through faith, love, motherhood, art, even food. This poignant, poetic study of the human condition affirms the enduring importance of relationships and the strength we derive from them, Even though we sometimes have to leave behind an old identity in order to discover our soul.

Beautifully paced, filled with unforgettable characters, Sufficient Grace reveals the vital place that spirit and belonging have in every inner life - and in the every day world."

8/27/07: Though it was difficult to get through the first chapter & I even put it down for a few months (I bought it in March, 2007) this is the most beautifully written fiction book I have ever read and the best book I've ever read. It's my top fave read of all time. I actually felt blessed to have read it once I was done. Amazing!

4/30/10: Once again I've fallen in love with this novel, even more than the first time. I don't know why I had a hard time with the first chapter or so the first time I read it (as I mentioned above). Ms. Arnoult's writing is beautiful; simple yet vividly descriptive. Her writing and more specifically this story comforts my soul and heals my heart in unexpected ways. I slowed my reading to a crawl towards the end because I didn't want it to end again. A novel I will come back to time after time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sufficient Grace.

04/01/2010 page 36
04/21/2010 page 228
67.86% "Reading this novel for me is like being warmly cloaked in prayer."
04/23/2010 page 245
72.92% "I'm slowing down; I don't want this to end (again as this is a re-read)."
04/30/2010 page 336
100.0% "Still my favorite novel of all time and even more endearing to me this go-around. Touches my soul & heals my heart in unexpected ways."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla So glad I didn't put this down when It slowed down cause the rewards after reading are still spinning in my head! So blessed that you recommended this to me EONS ago...lol! Thank you!

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo You're welcome Karla! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :-)