Emily Northcutt's Reviews > Rot and Ruin

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: ya, horror-fiction
Read from December 20 to 23, 2010

Though written for a YA audience, I think even adult readers can appreciate this coming-of-age tale set during the aftermath of "First Night" (AKA the zombie apocalypse). I can always personally go for even more gore than was offered in this horror tale, but as with the best genre fiction it's really the human stories that shine through the carnage. Benny Imura makes a dynamic shift from whiny teenager to young man of action and I can't wait to read his next adventures. BONUS - There is even a pretty cool reference to characters and events from George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" for those of us geeky enough to pick up on it. It's quick, but cool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rot and Ruin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jonathan So glad you enjoyed ROT & RUIN, Emily!

Emily Northcutt Jonathan wrote: "So glad you enjoyed ROT & RUIN, Emily!"

How many books do you envision being in this series? I think that my middle school boys are going to eat this one alive! ;)

Jonathan There are four books in the series. Each can be read as a stand-alone, but there will also be an over-arching plot that ties them all together. The series will be: ROT & RUIN, DUST & DECAY, FLESH & BONE and FIRE & ASH. I'll also be posting lots of free extra scenes & deleted scenes, online and in my newsletter.

Speaking of which...if you go to my website you can sign up for the newsletter. First issue (which includes contets and free material) comes out Feb 1. www.jonathanmaberry.com