Audra (Unabridged Chick)'s Reviews > The Dragonfly Effect: Quick, Effective, and Powerful Ways to Use Social Media to Drive Social Change

The Dragonfly Effect by Jennifer Aaker

Feb 26, 11

bookshelves: academic, how-to, professional-development, social-justice
Read from December 20, 2010 to February 03, 2011 — I own a copy

Confession -- I actually finished this in January but never got around to reviewing it even though we've discussed it at work.  Unlike fiction, I don't think the distance matters in a review and in some ways, it's probably more telling what I do recall -- if I've learned the lessons this book offered!

The subtitle -- Quick, Effective, and Powerful Ways To Use Social Media to Drive Social Change -- effectively explains the purpose of this book.  The dragonfly mentioned in the title is the motif the authors use to explain their tips: four wings/four tools.  The authors, Aaker and Smith, break down popular campaigns that used social media well and explain the hows and whys.

The book is very easy to read -- if you've used Facebook and Twitter, then you'll understand everything the authors talk about -- and their case studies are compelling (moving even!).  Even though the examples and tips are oriented toward charities, social campaigns, and small businesses, authors and bloggers could easily take these ideas and use them to improve their own social media skills.  Anyone interested in social media would benefit from this book -- if you do your work online, you'll want to read this!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragonfly Effect.

12/23/2010 page 82
32.0% "Really enjoyable so far -- brisk, funny, readable -- though oriented toward business and non-profits, I'm even seeing overlap for my work as a book blogger."
01/20/2011 page 112
44.0% "Inspiring and deflating -- will *I* ever be so savvy -- plus the stories make me teary!"
show 1 hidden update…