Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Dec 23, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, childhood, fiction
Read from December 20 to 23, 2010

As a child, The Wizard of Oz was a constant, a movie that would be watched several times in the course of the year. We'd laugh at the scarecrows antics, sigh at the tin man's desire for a heart and giggle at the cowardly lion. The wicked witch would scare us and Toto would make us want a dog - so I'm not quite sure how it happened that I never managed to get around to reading the books.

I decided to end 2010 (and start 2011's reviews) off with reading all fifteen Oz books by L. Frank Baum. I'm glad I made that decision, as after this single book I found myself falling in love in a completely different way with the story.

Simplistic and perfect, Baum's writing is easily understood by young and old alike. There's enough of a difference between the book and the movie to keep you interested, even if you've seen the movie as many times as I have (or more!). I laughed and enjoyed myself thoroughly ... now just to find a pretty set to put on my shelves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.