Sami Haggood's Reviews > Another Faust

Another Faust by Daniel Nayeri

U 50x66
Dec 20, 10

Read in December, 2010

It wasn't an amateurish so much as a novice attempt at recreating a classic tale. The overdramatic dialog worked with and against it, because sometimes it felt far too cliche where the authors gave some of their strongest characters the weakest lines that were purely for exponstional purposes - mostly Victoria whose constantly filled with spoilers and restating events that we as an audience can figure out on our own. Although a great example of this working in their favor is when someone such as Valentine starts talking nonchalantly about the extent of their powers like (spoiler-ish alert!) "I've already shot everyone in the school, what else is there," and things to that effect.

A lot more could've been done in actually building up the locations and the people in them, the various settings having little-to-no life in them, but still there in the back of our minds, very much like a stage play. In fact, this piece would've done better on stage, especially as a successor to Marlowe's work. Oh well darn...my whole opinion just changed. That explains everything really: the book is a watered down theatrical version of itself I think, and that it takes the best bits out of a much larger, much more mature piece of literary work, really just trying to sell itself.

But I mean, it was as good as fast food.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Faust.