Ronna's Reviews > Lake in the Clouds

F_50x66
Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from December 20 to 26, 2010

Much like the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, Sara Donati's Wilderness series is a commitment in that they are long and detailed, but give much back for your effort. While I felt the last book in the Wilderness series Dawn on a Distant Shore was just okay, I pressed on and am glad I did. Lake in the Clouds was a huge improvement on its predecessor. It had wonderful twists and turns throughout. For historical fiction fans, there is a real sense of post-Revolutionary America (Canada, too) on the frontier as well as the city, and Ms. Donati even name dropped some historical figures. She covered everything from slavery, abolitionist efforts and racial prejudice (toward non-whites) to the economical divide, illnesses and sexual perceptions of the times to the push west and its impact on Native American tribes. This book focused on Hannah Bonner (whereas previous books focused on Nathaniel & Elizabeth Bonner - her parents) and her development into a woman and doctor, and the people and conditions that made her the person she became. I really liked the direction of the story and the character development was incredible. I also felt she did a nice job wrapping up story-lines but kept enough interest in the Bonner family to maintain an interest in the continuing series. I definitely recommend this book (and series to fans of historical fiction and romance).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lake in the Clouds.