Andy Miller's Reviews > The Best American Short Stories 2010 (The Best American Series

The Best American Short Stories 2010 (The Best American Series by Richard Russo

Nov 24, 12

Read in December, 2010

Richard Russo was the guest editor this year and I think his selection of stories is the best of the last few years. Safari by Jennifer Egan was great, especially the end which updated the character's lives in the twenty years after the events of the safari. I also especially liked "Least Resistance", a story about an auto mechanic who entered the lives of a couple who lost a baby to SIDS,"Painted Ocean, Painted Ship" about a college teacher who becomes involved in a controversy that eventually costs her job, and "My Last Attempt to Explain to You What Happened to the Lion Tamer" an improbable narrative by a circus clown about a love story among him, the lion tamer, strong man and the trapeze artist which is a lot better than the plot may sound and " The Seagull Army Descends on a Strong Beach" a story about a 14 year old boy who lives in the shadow of his older, more athletic, more popular brother.
I also recommend "The Laugh", a disturbing, sad story that comes together at the end leaving you with a haunting feeling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Short Stories 2010 (The Best American Series.