Amy Bailey's Reviews > Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir

Honeymoon with My Brother by Franz Wisner

Dec 27, 10

Read from December 20 to 27, 2010

I did give this book 3 stars, though I debated for quite some time, but then I went back and changed it, because, on reflection, I really really didn't like the guy. There did seem to be SOME important personal revelations at the end. The author did seem to WANT the book to convey that he went on this journey and found his true self in the process. However, I found it hard to get past the fact that what this book really was is the story of a rich Republican (who doesn't seem to come to any revelations about that despite being exposed to the rest of the world's poverty) that gets jilted and takes himself on a pampering journey of self-discovery and gets laid a lot in the process. I felt perhaps I could understand why Annie couldn't marry him, because every other woman he met was simply a good piece of ass. Of course, he felt moderately bad about that at times, but not enough to ever give any of these women any further thought. And the whole point? Stop here if you don't want it spoiled for you... He winds up EVEN RICHER due to inheritance so he and his brother get to go back on their travels and don't have to go back and get jobs! OH HAPPY DAY! Hmm... somehow I'm not really seeing him as a "vagabond" as he's described in the bio on the jacket of the book. Long story short? It's great and all that these two rich dudes are able to pack up and leave their sad lives of $77,000 bonuses at work. It would be even better if they'd write a book about how the rest of us poor and middle class folk can do the same thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honeymoon with My Brother.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca HAHA! Great review, Amy. It sums up many of my thoughts, too. Did you know that Franz will be joining us via phone chat this Thursday? Though I wasn't entirely wild about him as I read the book, I'm still interested to speak with him.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Bailey It will be interesting to speak with him. I will probably mostly keep my mouth shut while he's on the phone, because I don't want to be insulting. I'll try to focus on the positive :). Glad to hear that someone shared my views, however. I didn't want to be the only person in the room with negative thoughts, because I usually am quite easy on books. I like more than I dislike! Thanks for the comment!