Zoe's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, ebook, will-not-finish
Read from January 15 to 18, 2011

This review is based only on the first six chapters, and I will not be finishing the book.

Switched starts off with dramatic tension and a sure-fire way to generate sympathy when Wendy's mother tries to kill her when she's only 6. But upon flashing forward eleven years, this story loses all the tension and sympathy that it generated in the prologue.

The biggest problem is, Wendy is unlikable. But she's also flighty, vapid and self-centered. Which would be okay if she was likable. But early on, her bother mentions that she set fire to a girl's dress while she was in it. I think that was supposed to be an attempt at cute humor. Instead, it irritated me.

I think the place that my annoyance started to rub raw was when Finn barely smiled at Wendy for the second time, and Wendy narrates: "His smile charmed me, as it always did." Always? You mean of the two times he's done it? It's word choices like this that make Wendy seem more like the worst stereotypical blonde.

After Finn explains that Wendy is a troll and that her mother was right and Wendy replaced Kim's newborn son, I wanted to see Wendy think at least one of two things; either that she needed to spring Kim and get her back to her family, or at the very least, she needed to wonder what became of the other baby. But in the next chapter, she shows up at the asylum to confirm that she was a changeling, and then she thinks, "Kim lost her mind after realizing I wasn't her kid." Uh, no, she didn't EVER lose her mind. She tried to kill a troll. That's harsh when the troll is only 6, yes, but she isn't crazy. So Wendy continuing to call her crazy even knowing the truth shows how little she thinks anything through.

In the next sequence with Finn, with her mother's accusations about Wendy killing baby Michael only a few hours old, Wendy never even brings up the other kid. It isn't just that she never asks, she never even thinks about the other kid. It's a non-issue for her.

Then there's the arrival of the bad guys, who attempt a kidnapping...in a two-seat car. I'm sure a Porsche sounded awesome to the writer, but like everything else in this supposedly pivotal scene, it's just poorly thought out.

And despite the story turning in a new direction for Wendy at chapter 7, I found I couldn't care to go on. I don't care who the bad guys are, or whether Wendy finds a place to feel at home. The only question I do care about at this point is, what happened to the other child? But given the direction the story is headed, I don't believe I'll get a satisfactory answer.

Fans of Twilight may like this if they can forgive Wendy for being even more vapid and shallow than Bella. (And I liked Bella, even if she was a bit shallow, so I could forgive her flaws a lot more easily.) I give Switched two stars, and will not be looking at the other books in the series. I'm very disappointed by this, because the great introduction had me all psyched up for a thrill ride, not a snooze fest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.