Thea's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Actual rating: 3.5.

Starting off, I'd like to say that I enjoyed this book, to an extent. It made me laugh a couple times as well. The book started off very well, and it drew me in almost immediately. I kept on reading and reading. I loved how Rothfuss described the scenes and how each character was so distinct, yet they were also very much connected to each other. They all had the chemistry needed to produce a well written novel.

However.

At one point, I began to feel as though the book became too much - As in, too long. Kvothe wavered back and forth over the same problems, crossing the line into the good of the situation and then to the bad again. He was either wealthy or back into poverty. I'm not saying that going back and forth is a bad thing in a book, but it felt like it was done over, and over, and over, and over...It came to a point where I even forgot what was happening in the book because the going back and forth of being poor and then not being poor confused me. Near the end, I had to force myself to finish the book because I was well over 75% done, but I didn't enjoy the last stretch as I enjoyed the first start.

The lack of an actual, intense, climatic point really did me in. I was annoyed. I thought after all that Kvothe had written, I would have read a better, captivated conflict. Sure, there are small conflicts throughout the book, but I still missed my huge climatic point there.

I pulled out a couple quotes from the book, just because I thought they were so extraordinary and I have never seen it written out this way, and it made me laugh. Some of them made me laugh harder than they should have. They're not going to spoil anything, so if you're looking for a good laugh, then read away:

pg. 250 -
"'Ria, is that short for Rian?'
'Yes, it is,' she smiled.
'Rian, would you please cross your legs?'
The request was made with such an earnest tone that not even a titter escaped the class. Looking puzzled, Rian crossed her legs.
'Now that the gates of hell are closed,' Hemme said in his normal, rougher tones. 'We can begin.'"

pg. 493 -
"'...I will kill you, cook you, and eat you. Right there on your lawn while all your neighbors watch.'"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

05/01/2011 page 65
05/11/2011 page 360
54.0% "This book is actually quite funny."
show 6 hidden updates…