Samuel's Reviews > Mr. Wilson's Cabinet Of Wonder: Pronged Ants, Horned Humans, Mice on Toast, and Other Marvels of Jurassic Technology

Mr. Wilson's Cabinet Of Wonder by Lawrence Weschler

Dec 20, 10

Reread almost the whole of it in one day before I gave it away as a christmas present. It was just as good as it lived in my memory from when I first read it after chance and boredom conspired to place it in front of me.

I like in particular this from the notes,
"In the years after Columbus, the European sensibility's virtual debauch is the wonder of the new world allowed it to disguise, from itself, the unprecedented human decimation that was taking place over there, on the ground, at that very moment. Wonder-besotted Europeans were so bedazzled that they could simply fail to notice the carnage transpiring under their very eyes, in their very name. We might say, to borrow Satre's phrase, that this continent was in bad faith."
found on page 123

I think it contains a caution about blinding optimism in the novel and undiscovered which would be well remembered when fondling an iphone or salivating over the promise of strange technology in the offing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Wilson's Cabinet Of Wonder.