Scarlett's Reviews > Wither

3520693
Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: library, reviewed
Read in July, 2011

Originally posted on my blog here.

It took me a while to warm up to the idea of reading this book. Polygamy isn’t a subject that I willingly subject myself to reading about, but this book had such rave reviews that I wanted to at least give it a try. I picked it up this morning after finishing another book and didn’t put it down until this evening after finishing it.

Rhine was an easy narrator to follow and relate to. I understood what she was feeling, both in hating her situation but in feeling warmer towards Linden. Gabriel was a good sympathetic character and I am looking forward to getting to know him better in the future installments.

What most surprised me about this book was the relationship between Rhine and her sisters wives. I came to value their strengths and found their weaknesses just as annoying as she did. I never expected to find out what it might be like to share a husband with other women. I still shudder at the idea, but the way DeStefano presented Rhine with Cecily and Jenna, it didn’t seem so bad, in a bad kind of way, if that makes sense. They each meant different things to their husband and it was interesting seeing the characters change.

It will be interesting seeing the repercussions of Rhine’s decisions in the later books. The end was slightly anti-climatic, but I’m still kind of glad I waited to read this as now I don’t have as long to wait for the next installment. Not that the end is a cliff hanger, but I’m still eager for what’s next. Hopefully it has more physical action and suspense!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.