Sandy's Reviews > Endure

Endure by Carrie Jones

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: favorite-character
Read in May, 2012

Boo for the title. The others were so atmospheric, but this one just feels burdensome and heavy.

*waves my Astley fangirl flag*

Let's hope we get the ending we're all cheering for!
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endure.

Wendy Darling Astley fan here, too. :) I agree with you on the title, it seems like such an odd one for the end especially.

Steph Sinclair Yes! I'm desperately awaiting approval!!

Sandy I requested it the day it appeared, but no approval in sight. Judging from the zero status updates for this book, no one's been approved yet. I'm not even particularly crazy about this series...just Astley. =)

Steph Sinclair I'm with you! As soon as it went up I requested (along with a bunch of other titles). I want more of Astly too. :) This series is a guilty pleasure of mine because the characters always make me laugh.

Angela Ditto on the Astley fan part. I'm interested to see how she wraps up the series.

Cindy Same here no reply....more Astly please:)

Sandy Yes, Angela, I'm interested to see how this ends. I think Carrie Jones has a chance to do something unique by having Zara end up with the guy who isn't even IN book 1. When does that ever happen? Usually, the guy who appears in book 2 is only there to complete the triangle and has no chance (and the reader knows it).

I liked Nick just fine in Need, but the baby-calling, overprotective Nick in Captivate was too much.

Yes, Cindy and Stephanie, more Astley! If any of you get approved, let me know!

Angela @Sandy: I'm hoping for the same *exact* thing as you. I recently read another book (which will remain unnamed so as to avoid spoilers) in which I though the author could have done something really risky with the love triangle at the end, but alas, she did not. I'll keep my fingers crossed about this one.

Cindy Will do!

Steph Sinclair I want the same thing, Sandy. I'll let you know if I hear anything about an approval. :D

Sandy Angela, are you talking about (view spoiler)? Because if you are, I AGREE. That author really missed the chance to do something so original, so risky by having (view spoiler). If she really wanted to send a girl power message with her book, that would have been it. Instead, she went the same path almost every other PNR takes.

Steph Sinclair Sandy wrote: "Angela, are you talking about [spoilers removed]? Because if you are, I AGREE. That author really missed the chance to do something so original, so risky by having [spoilers removed]. If she rea..."

That is what I thought she was talking about. I didn't read the book because of that. I totally lost interest.

message 13: by Sandy (last edited Jan 18, 2012 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandy Yeah, Stephanie, we all know who you wanted to (view spoiler) in that one. Aaaaahhh, the good times on your (view spoiler) review.

message 14: by Angela (last edited Jan 19, 2012 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela @Sandy & Stephanie: You have deduced correctly on both the book and the questionable plot decision, my lovelies. :)

(view spoiler)

Going over to read the action on Stephanie's Wolfsbane review right now. I just wrote mine up for the same book about a week ago, even though I read it back in August. It was my attempt at doing things in the right order (writing the review for the previous book before reading the next one). I shall see how our thoughts compare.

Steph Sinclair Sandy, I wanted them all the die by the end of the second book. -_-
Angela, be warned: it's long and angry!

Angela @Stephanie: Hah, it *was* long and angry, but I did take the time to read all of it. You pointed out some excellent discrepancies, esp. the one about Shay's "true" essence. That comes into play in the end of the third book and gets changed up even more. :/

Cindy Has anyone received this yet? This is taking forever.

Steph Sinclair Cindy wrote: "Has anyone received this yet? This is taking forever."

Nope. Nothing yet.

Angela wrote: "@Stephanie: Hah, it *was* long and angry, but I did take the time to read all of it. You pointed out some excellent discrepancies, esp. the one about Shay's "true" essence. That comes into play in ..."

Well, I'm glad I decided to skip the third book. I'm trying to avoid books that are sure to cause a ranty review.

Angela @Stephanie: Avoid at all costs, then. :)

message 20: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 24, 2012 03:00AM) (new) - added it

Jennifer I KNOW!!! I sent a second request because I thought I was being ignored! I want!!!!!!!!! I need!!!!!!!!! I'm barely enduring this...lol

And of course TEAM ASTLEY!!!!!!!!!

Sandy I sent a second request, too! I really have high hopes that Zara'a going to end up with Astley, and if so, I applaud Carrie Jones for taking the road most PNRs never go down.

Sandy Some said that it's more common for the two paranormal characters to end up together, and maybe it is, but the reason I think Carrie Jones' choice of Astley is original is because the guy wasn't even IN book 1.

Steph Sinclair Sandy wrote: "Some said that it's more common for the two paranormal characters to end up together, and maybe it is, but the reason I think Carrie Jones' choice of Astley is original is because the guy wasn't ev..."

I know. I will be her biggest fan if she has Zara end up with Astley. :D

Sandy BOO. Just got denied by Bloomsbury. Oh well. Let me know if any of you get it!

Steph Sinclair Sandy wrote: "BOO. Just got denied by Bloomsbury. Oh well. Let me know if any of you get it!"

I'll let you know if I hear anything back. I'm still waiting.

Meg ♥ I got it last week. :-)

Sandy SO. JEALOUS.

Can't wait for your review!

Steph Sinclair T_T I'm still waiting.

Steph Sinclair Finally got approved!

Sandy LUCKY!!! (It's only took them two months.) I'm thinking maybe I need to go request again. =)

Enjoy, Stephanie!

Steph Sinclair Yes, request again! I just sent in another request yesterday and it was approved today.

message 32: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer YEA Steph! Dreams do come true!

Angela Ohh ohh! I just sent in a new request too. *fingers crossed*

message 34: by Angela (last edited Jun 07, 2012 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela Since this has a rating now, I'm guessing you've read it. I hope to sometime write up a review (which looks increasingly unlikely as summer classes are already kicking my behind), but I just have to say (view spoiler)

Sandy Agree, agree, agree with your spoiler. That was my favorite part of the entire series.

I think this book would have been much stronger if Entice were shortened and incorporated into the beginning of Endure (as I didn't think there were enough plot elements to justify two books). However, I'm obviously pleased with the ending, but the writing still felt choppy to me, so the three stars.

Cindy I felt it was choppy too, almost felt like the author was just wanting to be done with it. I wis series books would come out closer together, instead of a year or more apart.

Angela @Sandy: I feel the same way about the lacking plot. I like that her books aren't unnecessarily long, but a longer third book and no fourth one would have worked just as well.