Kevin's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy, contemporary-fantasy, stand-alone
Read in November, 2010

If you are looking for a wondrous, entrancing urban fantasy read look no further. London Below is the place where you want to be.

In Neverwhere Neil Gaiman displays his seemingly unlimited imagination, demonstrates the ability to play with language and proves that he possesses the knowledge of simply how to tell a proper tale. A lot of good authors have either two of these qualities, but to have all three of them, and to such a high degree, is truly remarkable.

Neverwhere tells the story of Richard Mayhew. A young man who is, well, unremarkable. He lives in London, where he has a flat, a decent desk job, a beautiful, if domineering, fiancé and lives what is all in all a very ordinary life. A life he is completely content with.

All this changes, however, when he rescues a ragged looking girl of the sidewalk and stumbles headlong into a different world, a world underneath ours. It is a world of strange beauty and wonder, a world where mortal danger lurks around every corner. A world where poor Richard Mayhew is completely in over his head.

Gaiman's portrayal of this world and the characters living in it is as incredible as it is imaginative and his rich use of language, interlaced with a dry wit, makes the story come to life before your eyes. The morally grey character of the Marquis, and the truly vile assassin pair sent after our heros are characters that will stay with me for long while.

Among the few flaws this novel has, the first thing comes to mind is that some scenes feel a bit cut short, rushed even. Gaiman could have maybe explored this marvelous world he created and the creatures living in it a bit more. I was left a bit wanting for some more detail.

It is a bit minor to complain about I know, but it was all I could come up with. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.