Kevin's Reviews > The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Dec 19, 10

bookshelves: dystopian-fiction, science-fiction, post-apocalyptic-fiction, great-cover
Read in August, 2010

I'm a bit in two minds about this book. It has won plenty of awards (Hugo, Locus) and there are rave reviews all over the place. So my expections were pretty high going in. And although it's far from a bad book, for me, it didn't really work.

I liked the setting and the overal idea of the book. I found the story very interesting, and I thought the ending, how everything came togheter, was great. That ending actually saved the book for me. It's the sole reason I gave the book 3 stars instead of 2.

On the other hand there's just as much I didn't like. First and foremost there is the actual prose. The writing really didn't click with me. I found it was flat and boring. Add to that I didn't really like any of the characters. I just didn't connect with any of them. An effect of the writing maybe? Because the characters certainly were complex and fleshed out enough. The only major character I could care about to some extent was the titular windup girl.

I struggled with the first three quarters of the book for a disproportionate long time, reading bits and pieces in between doing other things. I just couldn't keep my attention to it for longer stretches at once. However, when I came near the end, where the story ran towards its great cascade ending, I finished it in one sitting.

Lovers of post-apocalyptic/dystopian tales with richly developed worlds should give this one a try. For myself however, overal I can't help but feel dissapointed by it. The cover is absolutely gorgeous though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.