Erin Cole's Reviews > The Cowboy and the Vampire

The Cowboy and the Vampire by Clark Hays

Feb 18, 11

Read in December, 2010

“…sexy, dark, witty, and nothing less.”

Embark on Tucker and Lizzie’s journey into the dark world of vampires, secret ancient heritage, and their fight to save humanity, with the help of a cowboy and his posse, which includes his peculiar father, weapon/conspiracy-savvy friend, and his faithful, canine companion, Rex.

What I enjoyed most about The Cowboy and the Vampire was the balance of genre—romance, mystery, horror, and comedy, all wrapped up in a delightful adventure that keeps the pages turning.

Lizzie and Tucker fall in love unexpectedly after she literally crashes in on his world, but his cowboy lifestyle and her city life bring them at odds, though only in the beginning—for love teaches them soon that is has no boundaries, even when your lover grows fangs.

After Lizzie, a reporter, interviews a vampire named Julius, and witnesses a gruesome turning of people, she flees to Tucker, unknowing that Julius’ goal is to capture and potentially kill her. And Lizzie is also unaware, much to Tucker’s dismay, that she is at the heart of a 2,000 year-old legend that could ultimately change the structure of good and evil forever.

Tucker and his posse team up with another vampire, Lazarus, to save Lizzie and themselves from Julius’ wrath. Who will live or die becomes a suspenseful journey that will have you cheering to the end.

I found the pacing of this novel very smooth, as authors McFall and Hayes pinpoint key plots and emotional drama in a witty, rich language that balances horror, romance, and comedy. Though Julius’ character fit the classic vampire role, other characters, such as Lazarus, Tucker, Elita, Lenny, and Tucker’s animals were as real as you and me. The dialogue Tucker has with his animals is hilarious, and I think some of that bleeds over into his relationship with Lizzie, which sets up great character development between the two. I also enjoyed the surprising twists layered through the scenes, because they were not only logical, but also added conflict, and progressed the plot well.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book—it is sexy, dark, witty, and nothing less. I gave it five stars for good writing, thorough attention to details and character development, originality, pacing, and a perfect balance of genres.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cowboy and the Vampire.