Wendy's Reviews > The Big Over Easy

Feb 15, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: unfinished
Read from February 08 to 12, 2011

I had high hopes for this book since I love silly humor, puns, and word play-related humor. It seemed like it would be right up my alley, so much so that I rubbed my hands in anticipation of reading it. Unfortunately, the book fell flat and I ended up abandoning it a hundred or so pages into it.

The story wasn't as clever or witty as I thought it would be and the characters were not very compelling. There were moments that did make me laugh, such as the report on the retirement party for the locked room mystery that was interrupted by the murder of the locked room mystery - in a locked room of course. But generally, the story came across like the author was either trying too hard to amuse or laughing at his own cleverness as he was writing.

I found myself easily distracted and all too willing to put the book aside to move on to other things. I really wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't even muster up a like. With a stack of fresh titles from the library waiting on my shelf to be read, I decided to throw in the towel and return this one.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Over Easy.

01/01/2014 marked as: gave-up