Marvin's Reviews > Neuromancer

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: kindle, science-fiction
Read from April 03 to 06, 2011

I tried reading Neuromancer when it first came out. However the cyperpunk style just didn't do it for me. Many of my friends suggested that I try again. I did finished it this time but my negative feelings are still strong. I know it is a ground-breaking work in science fiction. However the characters are cardboard action figures and the plotting is anything but choppy and forced. It may be that cyberpunk just isn't my thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neuromancer.

04/05/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

There is much, much better cyberpunk out there.

Check out (if you haven't):

City Come A-Walkin', by John Shirley (the true OG)

Ware Trilogy, Rudy Rucker

Headcrash, Bruce Bethke (this is the guy that actually coined the term cyberpunk and credited as first using "spam" for junk mail)

message 2: by Marvin (last edited Apr 06, 2011 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marvin I like John Shirley's horror fiction. Isn't he associated with splatterpunk too?

I'll check those out. I've also been told that Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash may be more to my liking.

Kathryn I love Snow Crash and am pretty sure you will too Marvin. I'm almost finished with book 2 of the Ware trilogy and Davis, you're right, it's a great series. I'll have to check out your other recs too.

Marvin, this book has not aged well for me and I understand how you feel.