Erin Reilly-Sanders's Reviews > Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone: The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival

Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone by Dene Low

Dec 19, 10

bookshelves: fiction, teen, historical
Read in December, 2010

For some reason I feel a little confused by this one. For one, I feel like I should have been better amused by this book. I enjoy mysteries, historical pieces, and especially books with a heavy handed sprinkle of smart humour. All these things we're present and yet I still didn't feel drawn in by the inescapable charm of the book. The characters are rather shallow but make up for it in witty dialog. The requisite romance is there but seems rather static- Petronella is in love with James, who is an okay guy and therefore should eventually love her back but makes very little progress toward doing so. It also becomes a little Twilight-esque, replacing Edward's pale white throat with the stretch of Jame's jacket over his broad shoulders. However, my biggest confusion is really over who the book isn't supposed to be for. While it's written for teens, it just doesn't seem super appealing. I do like the cover, but it feels more appropriate for an adult book. While Pentronella is a good effort, this book just seems to be missing a little of the spark, not necessarily the addition of a magical/fantasy aspect, that makes me enjoy Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart books and absolutely swoon over Patricia C. Wrede's Sorcery and Cecilia.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone.