Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)'s Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Cat Clarke

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: borrowed
Read from September 18 to 19, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Okay. I admit. I was freaking confused after I read this book. Really, REALLY confused. (If you are confused too, I have some answers written below)

Why I read this book:
(1) Because of the cover..... Blah! You know me! xD
(2) I found this plot, somehow, interesting, months ago.
(3) My friend gave this book for me to read. THANK-YOU! (:

Lets be honest now, shall we? I didn't love this book... *awkward silence* Yes, I didn't, I just didn't.
After reading so many teen-books-about-real-problems, I wasn't so sad about this book, or whatever.

What I didn't like about this:

(1) The narrator. I didn't like Grace at all. She just handled every situation poorly. I feel that, authors who are writing this type of books should make the heroine's character strong, confident, something which would inspire us.

Her father died. Everyone dies. You just can't be all sad and tell yourself that you are the only one miserable in this life. My sister's friend's mother died during the board exams they had some months ago. And you know what? Half of the school didn't even know that. She was that strong. She acted maturely and yes, shes just 16.

Then her mother was being all shitty and all, like Grace said. Yeah. If Nat would have died, what would have been your reaction girl? It wasn't even like her mother was ignoring her and all. She always told her to tell her anything she was angry or confused about.
One thing for you Grace... go read the book, Forbidden and then you will worship your mother, I guarantee you. You will.

(2) The story.
SEX-BOYS-BFF-CUTS-SEX-BOYS-ALCOHOL-CUTS-SEX-BOYS-BREAKUP-CUTS

Hooray! I told more than half of the book's story to you.

I just don't get it. Why does cutting yourself makes you feel better? Not that I am trying be rude or something, but seriously, you can tell your stuffs to your parents, friends or to your beloved boyfriend. This book reminded me alot of Willow by Julia Hoban. Get new ideas.
The Sex scenes and drinking beers were OVERLOADED. Little bit is okay, no-one minds, but this? This was unbearable. Personally, I think this book should have been lasted about 200-50 pages. But unnecessary things took too many pages.

(3) The writing style. First I was like, WTF is up with the writing style? Then slowly, slowly it got bearable. The author made this book too distracting and confusing. Shes here, then shes there, then shes suddenly nowhere and poor readers are confused like hell.

(4) The Plot was so freaking predictable. Don't tell me you really thought nothing about what happened to Nat and Sal. Don't tell me you never thought the prison was weird. Just don't freaking tell me you never thought that you somehow knew how the story will end till Sal and Nat.

The only things I fucking loved?
1- The end.
2- DEVON! =D
3- The end...?

I will rate this book 3/5 stars and I really want to know about Grace future after-all. Not like I care, but because of the ending way-way. And I won't stop you from reading this book. You have this book in the library, read it. Don't waste your money on it, thats all. (:

(SPOILER SIDE!)
Now for the readers who already read this book, let me answer some of the questions you might be having.

1- She isn't kidnapped? She didn't suicide? What happened to her?
Ans: Nope. Shes in a coma, in a hospital and she didn't commit suicide. She went to a coma through serious cutting. (After Nat-Sal thing of-course)

2- Ethan was her imaginary bf/friend/helper whatever right? Then what about him on the swings?
Ans: Grace was mental. You know,seeing things. It was something like MPD. Ethan and the white room shes been kept in would be her self consciousness. Her mind can't work out what happened and she goes over her past till she gets to the current and she realizes whats happened. Ethan was made by her.

3- What happened to Devon?
Ans: Remember that person in the end? Playing music and saying he'll come back everyday, that was him. Devon. He loved her! =D
p.s DEVON I LOVE YOU! XD

If you have any more questions, or just want to discuss, just comment. Hope it helped recent readers! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

Quotes Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Liked

Cat Clarke
“I remember. All of it. And it hurts. More than I'd ever thought possible.
I know where I am and what I've done and why I can't move or speak or open my eyes. And I'm scared.
It was all a terrible mistake.
I'd like not to be here. I'd like to go home now.
Please.
Please”

“I won't ever give up.”

Cat Clarke
“He drives a newish-looking silver van.
Man in van = obviously dodgy.”
tags: humor

09/18/2011 page 69
19.0% "Even though I am really annoyed by the author's writing, I am still enjoying the book. :D" 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dija (new)

Dija Aw, that sucks! I can never read a book after it's already been spoiled for me. :(

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Mhm, I know! =(
And now I know the whole reason of this story. No surprises for me I guess.

message 3: by Dija (new)

Dija Did you give the friend a piece of your mind when she spoiled it for you? That's what I do whenever somebody even vaguely tries to spoil anything for me. XD

Zara that was not the most interesting part u havent even finished it

Namerah actually,it was a bunch of frends,me included of course;P

message 6: by Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) (last edited Sep 18, 2011 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Dija: LOL, she accidentally said that. xD I guess she didn't know I haven't read this book. It all happened so fast! >.<

Zara: But still, pure suspence hi kharab ho gaya! -.-

Namerah: Including YOU ofcourse. :P

message 7: by Namerah (last edited Sep 19, 2011 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Namerah one thing i kno,our class was a jungle,what with all the noise.then v started discussing the book COMPLETELY unaware tht u were there

Zara sorry saniya it just slipped out

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Ugh. I envy you for that, Saniya.
Usually for me, I can barely stand to read a book if the writing is horrible. It just ruins the whole story for me.

message 10: by Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) (last edited Sep 18, 2011 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Namera- LOL, I know! :P But my face like -_- because I knew where she was. Actually I was laughing the whole time XD

Zara- Blah. Its ok! :D

Karen- Aww, it happens with me too, but this book is like 'the' only exception. The story is just too interesting, can't put the book down now! (:

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) That is sad to hear that you didn't like this one at all. I also have it in my TBR pile, it looked like it was going to be really good. Makes me not want to read it now.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Not completely, but I don't know. It was just an okay read for me.
I won't stop you from reading this book! Maybe you have a different taste? :)
You have this book in your library or with friends, read it. I recommend not to waste your money on it!

message 13: by Zara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zara i cant believe u didnt get the story

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I was going to read this book, but decided not to after I heard some not-good reviews. It sounds pretty damn confusing, something I really HATE.

Namerah after i read tht review i felt something like deja vu.then i realized all the answers to those questions were given to u by me;P

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Zara- I got it now. I asked Namerah.(:

Namerah- Ik :P I just wrote them so that people who didn't understand the ending can get it! :D

Arooj- Not only confusing, there were like, too many sex scenes and drinking beers after every few pages. Not that I stop you from reading this book but in my opinion Willow/Cut by Julia Hoban or Thirteen Reason Why by Jay Asher are better books.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Good thing I removed this book from my to-reads list then. Oh, and I loved Thirteen Reasons Why! So sad =(

Samia Ruponti Umm.....Saniya.....cutting makes her feel better....because she is mental. Isn't that the whole point? What is there to not understand? She is a mental patient,that is clear from the start.So please don't try to explain things in this book from a normal person's point of view, it'll all make sense to you.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Samia, she was completely normal until she excessively tried to cut herself after watching Nat and the scene. My dear, that wasn't the whole point. Being a mental patient doesn't mean she was a born mental. Please try to understand first before you comment.

Samia Ruponti It shows your confusion with the book. Remember, she cut herself regularly,but sal put a stop to it? It's clearly stated in the book:

I’d just turned fifteen the first time I cut.

If you don't remember, read the chapter with "day 10" . you find out. She was never normal, just a little better.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Cutting yourself doesn't means you are mental. It never means you are mental. But she was atleast better. I mean, if she was mental, somebody should have found out. I have read books totally related on 'cutting' yourself. They were never mental.

Samia Ruponti Now you are sulking! Sal did find out that she had problems, and Grace was better because Sal brought a balance to her life. When that relationship went south,Grace lost the balance. It was already established that Grace's mother was in some kind of denial/depression over her husband's suicide,so she didn't notice. Grace also didn't have a lot of friends or relatives who would notice her depression.

If "cutting" yourself is not mental, would you please explain what is mental in your book? Cutting yourself comes from extreme depression, which was what grace was suffering from. It is not uncommon at all. I guess you skipped a lot of lines/pages so the book didn't make sense to you. If you did, then please put it in your review. Otherwise people get confused,because they think you read the whole book.

message 24: by Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) (last edited Nov 29, 2011 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) You just said it yourself. Depression. Not mental. There were depression problems not mental.
Why don't you bother asking other authors what mental means in their
books? And yeah, do all emo people in this world are mental? People cut themselves because they feel somehow better, not mental.

Willow by Julia Hoban

Here. Read this book before arguing with me again.
And FYI, I read this book completely.
I know you really like this book, but my opinion will never change.
And my question was why do they feel better when they cut themselves not that "was she not mental when she cut herself"
I really don't want to fight with you or anything, so no hard feelings?

Samia Ruponti Dear, Depression IS a mental problem! Grace was not an emo person,so I won't even bother going there. I read willow too, and if you understood that,I sincerely don't understand why you can't understand Entangled. No hard feelings from me either,but I still don't understand why you were confused about the story. I'm not trying to change your opinion,just trying to make you understand that the things you had problems with,are completely normal.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Oh no, depression is not a mental problem. Now thats now not true! :O
Hahaha, I was confused with the ending, not the story. I asked my friends and they were solved.
Thanks anyway :)

message 27: by Zara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zara depression is not a mental problem it is a emotional one which causes mental problems

Charlie I totally agree with your review!!!!!!!! You speak the truth oh book god!! I couldn't have said it better myself :) thanks for saving me writing review!! I'll just direct everyone towards this!!

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Hahaha, gee thanks! :D <33

message 30: by Tiki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiki god i loved Devon <3

message 31: by Tiki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiki oh and I LOVE WILLOW books amazing <3

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Hahaha, me too! :D
Yeah, Willow is one good book! <3

Laëtitia Well I really like all your comments, but I disagree on one thing, I hate the ending !!! :(

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Hahaha, the ending was sad but I really liked it. I mean, it was better than rest of the whole book itself.

Rimsha Salam Great review! i agree completely your heading 2 is soo right i mean seriously the girl is a complete *lut and week but somehow the book was still interesting and the ending was kinda good because it was totally not different fro the book itself !

Rimsha Salam *weak

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Thankyou. :)
Yeah, even I found the ending good. Thats why that was the only thing I loved beside Devon.

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina TY for this review, had I read that whole piece of crap just to find out she is mental and in a coma from her cutting herself I would have cried from the hours wasted of my life.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Your welcome. :)
*Sigh* And not even from a good sensible reason. That somehow makes it even more worse.

message 41: by Zehra (new) - rated it 1 star

Zehra couldn't that person saying they'll come back everyday be Grace's mom? i dunno why i think that. maybe it's the size of their hand :s

message 42: by Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) (last edited Nov 18, 2012 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Well, that could be a possibility. Not that I care now anyway. The book was incredibly weird with no definite answers to anything. *Major Sigh*

message 43: by Zehra (new) - rated it 1 star

Zehra agreed. the only character i liked was that girl who comforted Grace once, when she was bawling her life out, right before she went and tried to suicide.

esther thank-you! i have never understood the ending and its always bugged me, so thanks :)

Leonie i never understood the ending haha. thank you!!

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Your welcome guys :)

Michiko huh. I dont like the coma part. The execution is terrible like the author went on and goad her readers to thinking there could be something between ethan and grace... and then that part when she saw a mirror and saw ethan as her reflection, what's that supposed to mean? that she fancied herself? lol I know it's supposed to be witty and all...I like the idea of it but it was poorly executed. hahaha sorry ranting here. :)))

Michiko I agree with you on the Devon thing. hihihi DEVOOOON <3 He's the only good thing in the book :)

Danielle Addae There are a few things I would disagree with you upon but then again everyone has different opinions and not one book will make everyone feel exactly the same. So I'll just point out this. Ethan wasn't so much her imagination or creation as an ACTUAL part of herself. She mentioned in the beginning somewhere that if she was a boy her parents would have named her Ethan. And then near the end when her cuts seem to heal and he takes them on himself, that just says it all. He was a part of herself that she needed to embrace and then let go of if she ever wanted to recover.

I loved the book but can see why some wouldn't find it that intriguing...

message 50: by Riad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riad Baghdadi JUST LIKE ME !!!!!!!!