Jaclyn's Reviews > Comfort & Joy

Comfort & Joy by Kristin Hannah

Dec 19, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, christmas, romance
Read in December, 2010

I picked this book up on a whim at the library b/c I was looking for a heart-warming Christmas story. In Comfort & Joy I definitely found it. Since I already like Kristin Hannah, and I wanted a Christmas story, I didn't read any reviews on this book before hand and had no idea what to expect. I'm glad I didn't read any before hand though b/c I had no expectations other than heart-warming, and in that this book delivered.

The twist in the middle threw me a bit - I never saw it coming at all - and I found myself a bit disappointed. However, I love the overall message of pursuing your dreams, no matter how crazy they may seem.

I think this book found me at the right time in my own life, and made me appreciate it all the more. Joy is recently divorced, and worse, she was betrayed by her sister and only family. She feels she's been living in a somewhat "gray" reality, and she's forgotten how to dream. In this story, Joy remembers what it's like to dream about a future, and works to find the courage to reach out for that dream to try to make it a reality. In the process Joy learns to forgive and to embrace the truth of her reality, instead of glossing over the truth for a somewhat less painful semi-reality.

I can see how the "cheese-factor" and elements of unreality would not appeal to some, but not every story has to be reality based. Sometimes we need to believe in magic, and in more than one of her books, Kristin Hannah gives us that reminder. Sometimes believing in the unbelievable is exactly what we need. Sometimes reality is bigger and more colorful than we can imagine when the day-to-day becomes too dull and gray.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort & Joy.