Jennefer's Reviews > These Old Shades

These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer

Dec 24, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 19 to 24, 2010

My second Georgette Heyer! I read this trilogy out of order and read Devils Cub first but it was so fun to go back and see how his parents got together!

This book has the whole girl dressed as a boy trope but with a twist and whole lot of intrigue and conspiracy behind how the heroine came to need that disguise. All is not fully revealed until the end of the book and the slow revelation of her history was very well done.

As far as the romance goes, I had a hard time with it in the beginning. The hero is 20 years older than the heroine and continually calls her 'infant' and 'my child' and at one point tells someone that he 'thinks of her as a granddaughter'. So initially this was pretty high on ick factor for me and I didn't know if I could get over it. Now I'm not sure exactly at what point this changed for me but by the time time the hero pronounces his love for her and they kiss at the end I was cheering and sighing over the sweetness of it all. This is the talent of this author! Somehow slowly over the course of the story their relationship grew and developed and the ick factor disappeared for me. Not sure exactly how or when, just slowly over the story it started to work for me.

Overall this book was just great. I adored the heroine and all of the characters really. The romance was solid, the story was paced well, I laughed out loud more than once, it was just great! Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Old Shades.

dateDown_arrow    newest »