Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > A Picture Of Freedom

A Picture Of Freedom by Patricia C. McKissack

Dec 22, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, mundie-kids-reviews, 2010-100-book-challenge
Read in December, 2010

This is one of the most fascinating books I've read in the Dear America series. Twelve year old Clotee is a true heroine in every sense of the word. Her journal gives a vivid detail of what slavery is like in the year 1859 and what it's like for those trying to free those who are forced into a life serving others.

What I found most fascinating about Clotee, is her quest for knowledge and an education. She yearns for Freedom and in so doing, she helped saved the lives of other slaves and become a conductor, as part of the Under Ground Railroad.

Clotee's story is heart wrenching, hopeful and one that transforms the reader back to a time that divided our nation and paints a very vivid picture of slavery in the reader's mind. Like the other stories I've read in this series, it's one that needs to be in a classroom setting. It's a brilliantly written historical fiction, that shares facts and historical truths from this era at the end of the story. The pages of this story give everything a student needs to gain an understanding during this time in our nation's history and for those who already know the history, it allows us to gain a different perspective from the eyes of a 12 yr old girl who's lived it.

Mixed with fiction and nonfiction alike, Clotee's story, like the rest of the books in the Dear America series, will keep readers both young and hold captivated by the history presented in each of these unique stories.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Picture Of Freedom.