Janet's Reviews > Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts: Using the Power of Pleasure to Have Your Way with the World

Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts by Regena Thomashauer

Dec 30, 2010

bookshelves: personal-development
Read from December 18 to 22, 2010

I first picked up this book a long time ago, and put it back because I didn't need it. I was doing well at having pleasure in my life, and Mama Gena's approach seemed a bit silly and simplistic.

I don't feel that way now.
Reading this book has helped me make a major transition out of three years of grief (after my beloved's death) into a normal life again.

Mama Gena's message is that pleasure and delight are not luxuries, harmful indulgences, or frivolous -- they are necessary to our emotional well-being. It's only when we feel satisfied and happy with ourselves and our lives that we can give our best to the rest of the world.

Each woman will define "pleasure" a different way, and that's all right. The point is to understand what pleases you and make sure that you get what you need to feel fulfilled. A happy woman is a generous, loving, powerful woman. And she has a lot more fun.

Our culture often swings to extremes in its attitudes on pleasure and asceticism. I think Mama Gena preaches a joyful balance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts.