Daniel Audet's Reviews > The Secret Soldier

The Secret Soldier by Alex Berenson

Jan 14, 11

Read in January, 2011

I finished Alex's book yesterday, I was sorry it ended. As a writer myself I enjoyed this book very much for writerly reasons and, as a fan of the genre Alex is re-defining, it will be one of the "books of the year" for 2011. Alex took some chances most safer writers still won't take with certain issues and his fearlessness in character portrayal is inspiring, giving a sincere depth to the story. Sub-plots are seamless and barely detectable, simmering close to the surface all the way to the last page. It's not predictable, the plot twists keep you rolling through the pages to see what will happen and John Wells twists and turns inside himself too right along with it. Great craftsmanship and top notch story telling! I recommend this book for all the best and right reasons, I'm sure this will be one of the notable bestsellers of 2011.

200+ pages in, I get more excited with each page I turn. Our hero John Wells is up to his ears in international intrigue. He and his team are hitting exotic locations as they close in on the mystery and people behind a horrific series of attacks. Twists and turns keep John on his toes as he ends up in the middle of nowhere ready to take on the bad guys. Great action! Alex brings a lot to the table with this book as the dimensions of John Wells expand and deepen with this installment. Back story and sub-plot are seamless and flow naturally as does the dialogue and narrative. Berenson is truly at his best in this book, I highly recommend it, it's due out the first week in Feb.
Pick up The Midnight House, out now in hardcover.

I'm over a hundred pages in and the action is still thick, in fact it's getting thicker - as if that were possible. Our hero, John Wells is headed into the middle of evil mayhem on a global scale and possible death and we would expect nothing less. I'm not going to give the story away but Alex manages to take us into the personal side of John Wells making us feel like we're in his head feeling his confidence, his anger and his pain as we plan with him to go storming into battle. Very well done in terms of writing with great pace, narration, and, the dialogue is tight, to the point and informative. This is major thriller writing at it's best, folks, from the technical angle and from a pure entertainment angle too! Berenson has the smooth, rich style, top level authors develop - like David Baldacci or Steve Berry - while not sparing the brutal reality of experiences a man like John Wells will go through. Be sure to catch up on the John Wells series starting with Alex's breakout smash hit bestseller The Faithful Spy, a book I agree with reviewers and major critics who say it is a true classic espionage thriller. Then, all the way through to The Midnight House, which is in hardcover release now. More on this later, I'm off to do some reading!

Ok, I'm starting Alex Berenson's "The Secret Soldier" today.
This is one of the most anticipated books in any fiction series of the modern thriller/espionage genre. Of which, Alex has established himself very quickly as a major player, having starting with the blockbuster bestseller "The Faithful Spy." John Wells has become the poster guy character for action thrillers and it looks like Berenson is on his game with this edition too. I am one of the lucky few to have gotten an advance copy (signed by Alex, Thank You Sir!) of The Secret Soldier about a week ago and saved it till things calmed down around the ranch enough to where I could immerse myself in what I am SURE will be one of 2011's biggest bestsellers in ALL formats including eBook. There's something special about the hardcover edition of a notable and memorable bestseller and this one definitely qualifies. I'm a writer myself and an avid fan of Alex Berenson and this genre and I also believe in supporting my industry and book buying is one way I do it. Pick up a copy of "The Midnight House" and follow John Wells into his next mission "The Secret Soldier" due out early in 2011. Stay tuned for my update reviews as I read this book!

I'm looking forward to reading Alex's next release, "The Secret Soldier", having read every book in the series so far, including his current hardcover release "The Midnight House". I'll let you know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Soldier.

01/01/2011 page 102
25.0% "Awesome kick start to this thriller! John Wells gets on the case and it's on....."