Daniel Audet's Reviews > Private

Private by James Patterson

Dec 20, 10

Read in December, 2010

I read Private last week co-authored by Mr. P and Maxine Paetro. For me, clearly, I could detect Maxine's influence in this book, which is not a bad thing - it's an interesting one because of the mixture of "voice" influences. This type of edgy thriller stuff is difficult to carry off from narrative and dialogue standpoints and though I'm not the biggest fan of this type of co-authored book and brand marketing, I get the point of it. I read a lot of books in this genre and it's crowded with attempts at genuine depth and authentic attitude and many fail. (Sometimes it's just outright ruthless marketing.) I thought it, Private, had a lot of sub-plot clashes, any one of which would have made for a major plot theme in and of themselves, but were fairly well blended, mostly, except for the confusing clutter of facts and character movement and for some over the top sidebar issues connected to almost every one of them.(including, or not, ones I felt were missing)
I love the idea of a high grade private investigator agency with global scope and the fast paced tech stuff and our heroes general attitude but some of the relational bitterness in in his personal life dynamic didn't quite make sense for me and left me with a revulsion kind of bitterness of my own. I can't wrap my head around the idea of this guy sitting alone in an LA restaurant reading a book - AT ALL. Also, the very idea that a guy in the year 2010 is going to have sex almost every fifteen minutes with super model beautiful but cliche' flawed women who truly care for him and that he may or may not really love or even "like" or is even sure how or if he cares about them - I find highly improbable and too much of a deep character flaw. AND that it, the sex, will be the pinnacle of either "lustful" or "fulfillment" sex is absolutely absurd AND I don't need to be spoon fed the actual description of the moment of penetration either as if the character were talking about screwing in a light bulb and not stealing a moment of mutual, sincere passion while under the threat of imminent death. Too much information and not at all romantic.(...not that I'm Mr. Romance....)
Overall this book is high grade stuff, both authors at the top of their game, and I would like to read more in the future about "Private" but not have to try to stay on top of several major plots and sketchy sub-plots and the clutter of facts and PLEASE don't insult my intelligence and sensibility with this sex-a-thon stuff.....seriously....it's outdated and just plain cheesy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Private.