Hannah's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Jul 07, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, witches, paranormal
Read from June 23 to July 03, 2011

Beautiful Creatures is firmly set in South Carolina, where everyone knows everyone else’s business, school children re-enact the civil war, and history and family reputation play a huge part in your social standing. Little details like Amma making her biscuits by hand firmly root the story and help set the scene for the prejudices, traditions and superstitions that the town abide by. I really enjoyed the aspects that show there is more to Gatlin than meets the eye and that most of the town don’t know about, like hidden libraries and charmed houses.

In Lena’s family everyone has different abilities, whether it is an ability to tell the truth, see the past or manipulate people. Lena is only months away from her 16th birthday when her fate will be decided and she will find out if she will go ‘dark’ or ‘light’. She struggles with the weight of thinking she will become evil, her family curse, and dealing with her growing powers as a Natural.

The story’s point of view is from Ethan’s perspective, which I just love. You get to see a little behind what boys are thinking and their take on girls, dresses and proms.

Ethan’s housekeeper and surrogate mother, Amma, is a from a long line of seers. She is heavily superstitious, always practicing her own form of magic and hiding little bones and charms around the house. Macon, Lena's Uncle, is certainly not the recluse the town think he is but more of a debonair gentleman with formidable powers. The pair don’t get on but both are impressive characters, that you definitely wouldn’t want to mess with!

Garcia and Stohl have a familiar, welcoming style with well developed characters and writing that makes you feel right at home…this sounds odd I know, but I feel like I’m reading a story by a favourite author, which as a debut novel by the pair is really saying something.

Rating: 4*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.