Tina's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Dec 24, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, ya, tfg-100
Read from December 19 to 22, 2010

Original post at One More Page

What better book to read during the holidays than C.S. Lewis' classic, The Chronicles of Narnia? While I was lamenting at how I never read The Giver back in high school, I was also sad that The Chronicles of Narnia were never required reading for school, too. I've heard of the series for a long time now, but I never really knew of the story of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe until senior year in college, right before the movie showed. I was already nineteen then! Why was this never a part of my childhood? I am glad that Scholastic had a book fair at my office a couple of years later -- I got the entire Narnia boxed set for only Php 500 (around USD 11).

Still, it took me a while to read it, and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I decided to go on a Narnia trip for Christmas. Like I said, what better book to read during the holidays, right?

In case you were like me who's never read this book or watched the movie or even a stage play of this, here's a quick recap: siblings Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy were sent to stay at a Professor's house, and during one game of hide and seek, Lucy stumbles upon the land of Narnia through a wardrobe. She makes friends with a faun, Mr. Tumnus, and she finds out that Narnia has been stuck in winter for a long time because of a White Witch Jadis. Later on the siblings end up all going to Narnia, and they find out that they are the fulfillment of a prophecy and the Great Lion Aslan is on his way back to Narnia to restore the land.

I first "read" this book through an audiobook before the movie was shown in the cinemas. I loved the audiobook. Then I watched the movie and I loved it too -- not caring if there were any differences from what I "read". I think I loved it because it was a Christian novel, and I truly related to what Edmund did and what Aslan did for him. Aslan became one of my favorite fictional characters, and I always loved it whenever he shows up on the movies (but that may be because Aslan is voiced by Liam Neeson).

Reading the book for the first time reminded me so much of all the things I loved from the audio book and the movie, and maybe even more. Since the entire Narnia series is written as children's books, the text is lyrical and there's a whimsical feel in the story, almost like when I was reading the fairy tale books when I was a kid. I think the only way to describe this book is it's magical. I don't know if it's just Christmas, or if it's because I'm more receptive to fantasy now than I was a year ago, but I really enjoyed reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I think that if I read this as a kid, I may not have been able to appreciate it as much as I do now, so maybe reading it this late in my life is a good thing. :)

I don't think I'd have the time to read the rest of the Narnia books before the year ends, but I will finish reading them soon. :) When I have children, I will make sure to have copies of these books at home so they can read it and visit Narnia anytime they want to.

And one more thing: show of hands to anyone who can relate to Edmund? I know I do.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

12/19/2010 page 25
12/19/2010 page 44
21.0% "I remember the audio book I listened to before I watched the movie version of this book."
12/21/2010 page 80
42.0% "I love that Mrs. Beaver was on the sewing machine when the Pevensies arrived. And what a yummy dinner. :P"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Dec 24, 2010 03:46AM) (new) - added it

Kwesi 章英狮 Hi Tina, have you read The Magician's Nephew?

Tina Kwesi Ian Jay wrote: "Hi Tina, have you read The Magician's Nephew?"

Nope! I'm reading it in order of publication, suggested by my friend who's a big Narnia fan. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 I see, but I suggest you need to read them in chronological order. But it's up to you, I find it hard to understand everything by publication.

Krizia Anna Kwesi Ian Jay wrote: "I see, but I suggest you need to read them in chronological order. But it's up to you, I find it hard to understand everything by publication."

I've read chronological order style. Pero parang okay din yung publication order.

Kwesi 章英狮 I see.

K.D. Absolutely I agree with Kwesi. Purplycookie also told me that. But I committed the same mistake already.
Other examples she said:
Read "Tom Sawyer" first before "Huckleberry Finn"
Read "The Hobbit" first before "LOTR"

Tina I'll let you guys know how it is reading in publication order...hm although I don't have a reference in reading it chronologically. Hehe maybe a few years down I'd re-read it again? Haha.

Thanks for the likes. :D