Glyn's Reviews > A Journey: My Political Life

U_50x66
Jan 10, 11

Read from December 19 to 29, 2010

I liked Tony Blair.

As a young man in the early 1990s, I completely bought into his vision for change where the old political battle lines between left and right needed to be cast aside, and a new agenda, as a third way progressive should be embraced. But I fear he lost his way, as international events distracted him from the domestic mission. I'm sure many would say that his legacy is severely tainted by Iraq and Afghanistan, and I wanted to read this book to get an insight into the mind that was behind such terrible decisions. What I discovered was a real, genuine openness in this book, where events are not swept under the carpet, but are dealt with head on.

At first, the chatty style of writing was very irritating, but in the end I warmed to it as you really feel you are getting in his head. When reading, it was almost as if I felt he was talking to me. His accounts of the wars in Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistran was enlightening. I didn't always agree with his decision but I understood why he did what he did. Instead of looking at international decisions in the national interest, he assessed them from a moral point of view - a dangerous approach for a national leader. I found the account of his relationship with Gordon Brown captivating. The papers always made out that things were bad but on reading this book you realise things were far worse!

All in all, I'm glad I read this book. It gave detailed insight into the history of the last 15 years and into what it takes to be Prime Minister. There is an arrogance and vulnerability about Blair, but he was more of a visionary than I gave him credit for.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Journey.