Candace's Reviews > Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self

Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self by Danielle Evans

Dec 19, 10

Read from December 10 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy

First, I hate short stories. Had I known when I picked this book up that it was a collection of short stories, I never would have done so. I read the second story thinking that it was the second chapter and struggled to find some kind of common thread linking it to the first "chapter". Never happened. Naturally. However, having said all this, I found that I couldn't put this book down.

I chose this book randomly because the title spoke to me. As a Parisian-dwelling-native-of-Virginia (you can take the girl out of Virginia but you can't take the Virginia out of the girl!), that title jumped out at me. This is the English of my childhood--a combination of African-American/rural white dialect--and as I read the title, I could actually hear it being said, with that Southern accent and intonation, in my head. Spooky. I found the dialogue so....so perfect, so authentic, so "there"....I felt that I knew these people. Danielle Evans succeeded in capturing the subtle flavor of Southern thinking, that unique exchange between people in the South that is so hard to put into words.

Bravo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self.