DoctorM's Reviews > The Future of Nostalgia

The Future of Nostalgia by Svetlana Boym

Jan 16, 2011

bookshelves: pop-culture, philosophy, sociology, critical-theory
Read from January 02 to 16, 2011

A lovely essay on nostalgia, on what may be "the hypochondria of the heart", a longing to return to a mythical home and past. Boym focuses on Eastern Europe and Russia, but her look at the imaginary pasts we create and long for applies elsewhere as well--- e.g., the imaginary 1950s of American longing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Nostalgia.

Quotes DoctorM Liked

Svetlana Boym
“As for time, it is forever shrinking. Oppressed by multitasking and managerial efficiency, we live under a perpetual time pressure. The disease of this millennium will be called chronophobia or speedomania, and its treatment will be embarrassingly old-fashioned. Contemporary nostalgia is not so much about the past as about vanishing the present.”
Svetlana Boym, The Future of Nostalgia

Svetlana Boym
“...nostalgia goes beyond individual psychology. At first glance, nostalgia is a longing for a place, but actually it is a yearning for a different time - the time of our childhood, the slower rhythms of our dreams. In a broader sense, nostalgia is a rebellion against the modern idea of time, the time of history and progress. The nostalgic desires to obliterate history and turn it into a private or collective mythology, to revisit time like space, refusing to surrender to the irreversibility of time that plagues the human condition.”
Svetlana Boym, The Future of Nostalgia