Colleen's Reviews > Emotional Yoga: How the Body Can Heal the Mind

Emotional Yoga by Bija Bennett

Mar 24, 11

bookshelves: yoga, partially-read

In no other time in recent history have emotions been so respected. We are beginning to appreciate that emotions are not just annoying vestiges of our animal heritage. Instead, emotions can clue us into our sources of anxiety. Listening to emotions can turn out to be healing and beneficial. The problem is that too often we judge our emotions, and quickly squash them into ourselves, suppressing the body's natural response to our circumstances. Yoga as a practice helps individuals become more aware of their bodies. As a vinyasa yoga instructor in Portland, Oregon, I am seeking frameworks for emotional yoga therapy-- ways yoga teachers can specialize around helping people "overcome," re-frame, and re-wire their emotional responses.

I am loving Ms. Bennett's approach to healing. She organizes her writing around the 8 limbs of yoga. This is wonderful because it fits in with the yogic philosophy Vedic sages developed over 4,000 years ago. So far I am reading about the first limb, awareness/allowing. In this case, Ms. Bennett writes about becoming aware of one's emotional state, and accepting it as it is.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emotional Yoga.