Becky's Reviews > Warrior

Warrior by Zoe Archer

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, mf-historical
Read from January 15 to 19, 2011

Beyond the refreshingly realistic interpersonal conflict, Warrior is just a fun story. Archer does a good job of laying out her new world without slowing down the action. Most of the story takes place in Mongolia, which is a new setting for me. And the two leads, Thalia and Gabriel, really seem to fit together. He was protective without being smothering; she's the one with all the knowledge and experience with magic, and she doesn't make the second-rate heroine mistake of running off half-cocked and then expecting to be rescued.

One thing that I found slightly distracting is that a couple of the descriptions of magic in the story strongly reminded me of scenes from The Mummy and Lord of the Rings, and the setting and situation for the final showdown reminded me quite a bit of Helm's Deep from The Two Towers. These things were enough to make my mind wander from the story for a minute, but not enough of a distraction to make me put the book down.

I'm also a little concerned about The Blades of the Rose (the name of the group fighting to protect the magical items) and their overall motivation for the series. They're determined to protect these items, called Sources, for the native people and cultures in which they're found. They're not allowed to collect or use the magic themselves. So instead of being proactive, they're constantly reacting to the moves of the Heirs of Albion (the bad guys) and behind the 8 ball, because the Heirs have no problem with using what they take. It's a negative goal and a war that they can't ever really win. I understand the thinking to a certain extent-- if they start gathering Sources too, what makes them different from the Heirs? But it also strikes me as a slightly... wimpy stance. I hope in future books the Blades find a way to get more proactive in their defense of the Sources.

This was fun adventure and an excellent start to the series. I'm glad I read it, and I'm glad that I have the next two books ready to go in my TBR file.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warrior.