Kurt's Reviews > You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective

You Can Be Happy No Matter What by Richard Carlson

Dec 26, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction, self-help
Read from December 18 to 25, 2010

I really did not enjoy reading this book. It seemed to say the same thing over and over and over again. And what it said was pretty much common sense advice that most people already know -- that our thoughts determine our feelings and our moods which tend to determine our level of happiness: control your thoughts and you control how you feel about your life.

I do give this book an extra star simply because it did shed a little light on the subject for me. It encourages people to nip bad thoughts in the bud -- eliminate them early before they grow out of control. We should also recognize when we are in a negative moods and delay certain decisions until we are in better moods. We also need to acknowledge that others have mood swings also and that they all live their lives in realities that are separate and distinct from our own personal realities. Also, the past is nothing more than memories, so dwelling on negative past experiences is counter-productive.

Nothing in this book is really earth-shattering, but I do feel that it was helpful to be reminded of a few of these simple truths. I just would have preferred that it be done in 25-50 pages instead of 150.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Can Be Happy No Matter What.