Kit★'s Reviews > 20th Century Ghosts

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: horror, keep-forever, short-stories-and-or-novellas
Read on January 02, 2011

Devoured this in one day!

"Best New Horror" was a great quick adrenaline rush. Loved it, because whenever I read or watch a scary story, I always wonder how I would do in that situation.
"20th Century Ghost" was also a great story. I liked how everyone who met the ghost ended up doing something movie-related.
"Pop Art" was beautiful and poignant in a strange dreamy sort of way. I was almost misted over when it ended.
"You Will Hear the Locust Sing" really, really grossed me out. From the recollections of his childhood to the descriptions of his life as a bug... eww. I'm really squeamed out by bugs as it is, and to read about being one, while interesting, was grody.
"Abraham's Boys" and "Better Than Home" both confused me a little at first, but they were good.
"The Black Phone" was great, I was tearing through the pages like watching an episode of CSI with Tales from the Crypt or something like that.
"In the Rundown" scored high for me. I wanted to shout at the guy, call for help, something. Then, the ambiguous ending. I was left with a sort of "oh, no" feeling. I didn't think things were looking good for him.
"The Cape" was cool. That'd be a lot of fun. I didn't much like Eric as an adult though, he turned into quite an asshole.
"Last Breath" reminded me a lot of the scary stories I read as a kid. A place like that would definitely be creepy.
"Dead-Wood" I thought was very interesting. I never like seeing trees cut down, and to think of a ghost-tree sort of haunting a place is really neat.
"The Widow's Breakfast" was a little strange, but again, good. I liked the historical setting, and the character was good, but I wanted to know more, so the abrupt ending threw me, even though I knew it was coming.
"Bobby Conroy Comes Back From the Dead" was kind of sweet. The characters and their interactions were well-written, even though some of Bobby's thoughts occasionally bordered on the stalker-ish. A good ending on this one I thought.
"My Father's Mask" felt almost like a trippy, Alice in Wonderland sort of thing. It was a little scary as well, especially if you think from the kid's point of view.
Finally, "Voluntary Committal". I loved this one! The strange brother and his projects in the basement were funny, but I still kept wanting to know more, see into the other worlds maybe. This one ties with "Pop Art" as my favorite in the collection.
The afterword and the little story within it was nice. I like little notes from the author when I read.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 20th Century Ghosts.

01/02/2011 page 103