Sophie Riggsby's Reviews > Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean

Dec 18, 10

bookshelves: chemistry-101
Read in December, 2010

Okay, it's not my usual YA read. But it is definitely a nod to my 31 Flavors of Mr. Darcy obsession. Not that this is in any way a re-telling of any Jane Austen story BUT it is a regency romance and features a very spunky heroine, Lady Calpurnia Hartwell. I loved the character of Callie, the cautious wall-flower of so many balls. And now at the beginning of what is surely her life sentance of spinsterhood, Callie makes a list. A list of nine things she wants to do because she's not "passive" as she's overheard others dub her.

Those nine items lead her into a lot of trouble and the mayhem that unfolds is romantic, devious and delicious. And I have to list them because you'll get the idea and rather quickly of what Callie was clearly missing in her life:
Kiss someone – passionately
Smoke cheroot and drink scotch
Ride astride
Fence
Attend a duel
Fire a pistol
Gamble (at a gentleman’s club)
Dance every dance at a ball
Be considered beautiful. Just once

If you enjoy a historical romance where the heroine does not accept her lot in life, pick up Nine Rules to Break When Romancing A Rake. It may be the perfect escape from all that holiday wrapping and partying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake.