Dan Schwent 's Reviews > Queenpin

Queenpin by Megan Abbott

Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: christmas-2010, crime-and-mystery
Read on December 23, 2010

A young woman working as an accountant at a nightclub is taken under the wing of Gloria Denton, a cunning and ruthless mob woman. While Gloria teaches her the ropes, she falls in love with a gambler named Vic. Vic's heavily in debt and has a plan: rip off Gloria Denton!

Megan Abbott knows how to noir it up with the best of them. Queenpin is a twisting tale with a lot of double dealing. The nameless protagonist goes from being an accountant to a runner and beyond. Once the attempt to rip Gloria off goes down, the book kicks into high gear with paranoia and double crosses.

The writing is really good and reminds me of Christa Faust at times. Gloria Denton is a very well realized character. I sure wouldn't want to cross her.

Any complaints? It was too short and the ending was a little too easy. Other than that, it was one hell of a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queenpin.

12/23/2010 page 1
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

James Thane I really liked this book too, and I agree: Megan Abbott knows her stuff.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent James wrote: "I really liked this book too, and I agree: Megan Abbott knows her stuff."

My review doesn't really do it justice but I was afraid of giving away too much. Have you read any of her other ones?

James Thane Yes, I've also read Bury Me Deep: A Novel, which I liked, although not quite as much as "Queenpin."

James Thane I agree on both counts.

message 5: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh Just read her short story in LA NOIRE. Very weird, but cool. Very dream-like in a dark way.