Mary Graham's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Dec 18, 2010

Read from December 18 to 25, 2010

I enjoyed the book a great deal, but felt it might be a wee bit long. I was amazed to find some pretty strong elements that remind me of my book "A Golden Forever." There are plot characteristics the two have in common, albeit mine is set between England and Gold Rush California and Outlander is (almost) entirely in the Highlands of Scotland.

I'm fairly new to Goodreads and reviews, and just wrote and erased a discussion about the similarity. I decided not to go into detail because it would be a "spoiler." If someone's read both books, they'd see the similarity.

But someone who enjoyed Outlander might like Golden, although Outlander is more a "true to life" historical while Golden bends English Society and the very early Gold Rush period to suit my whims. Of coure, I believe that an author's world is ALWAYS an author's world - and I think a writer can spin, fold or reformat anything to suit their muse's leadings.

Both Ms. Gabaldon and I seem to agree that turning a tried and true plot point on its head can lead to an interesting role reversal with the hero and heroine!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

12/18/2010 page 650
76.0% "This is a great book. Started it a while back but b/t my writing, Christmas, end of the year work, I haven't finished it yet. I'm loving the hero though. Yum......"