Lesley's Reviews > Brave New World

Feb 18, 11

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia, 3-stars, read-2011
Read from February 15 to 17, 2011 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I was prepared to read this book and expected what was to come, so I don't think I got the shock factor that those who read this when the book was first published experienced. The narration of the book was different than what I'm used to. The first half of the book was kind of slow as this new world is explained. There was no real "hero" of the book that you were rooting for. I think it told a lot of universal truths that are still relevant today, being that there are those people that are "normal" and are happy together even though they may not be all that happy but they do all of the "right" things to appear that way and it seems to work for them. Then there are those that are a bit "different" than what is considered normal. If you're one of those people then you don't feel like you fit in and you want something more or different. What happens to those people? Oh, yeah. After you realize it's futile to try and change anything, you get booted out of society and put on an island to join other people like yourself. If that doesn't happen, you can choose to live in society different and alone. When you can't handle it anymore or it gets to be too much, you commit suicide as per John Savage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

Quotes Lesley Liked

Aldous Huxley
“I like being myself. Myself and nasty.”

Aldous Huxley
“The Savage nodded, frowning. "You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it. Whether 'tis better in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows or outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them...But you don't do either. Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy."

..."What you need," the Savage went on, "is something with tears for a change. Nothing costs enough here.”

Aldous Huxley
“I want to know what passion is. I want to feel something strongly.”

Aldous Huxley
“All right then," said the savage defiantly, I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
"Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat, the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind."
There was a long silence.
"I claim them all," said the Savage at last.”

Aldous Huxley
“I am I, and I wish I weren't.”

Aldous Huxley
“If one's different, one's bound to be lonely.”