Jessica's Reviews > Vanished

Jan 30, 11

bookshelves: grade-b
Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Grade: B

This series is seriously the equivalent of a long running soap opera, such as General Hospital. The plot just gets crazier and crazier, and it gets to the point where it is ridiculous to continue watching or reading. However, some people like their soap operas and can't stop watching. This is how I am with the Private series.

The series is good, if you can overlook the fact that the story and plot have become so far fetched that nothing really connects and stays true to the original story line anymore.

I just don't think I'm one of those people who can overlook it.

I mean, come on, the series started out as a story about an underprivileged girl who gets accepted into this amazing boarding school where she has to deal with the most privileged and bitchiest girls in the country. Now, eleven books, one prequel, and one spinoff series later, we find out that the original Billings girls had magical powers! They were witches! Will our beloved cast (which has changed dramatically throughout the series), obtain magical powers too?

I'm all for paranormal fiction, but not when it comes out of nowhere as an attempt to revive a series that apparently can't stand alone on its foundation.

I honestly liked the series. I couldn't stop reading the books in the series. I went through one after another. I'm just disappointed in the direction that Kate Brian decided to take the story, and I just don't buy all these surprise twists and turns anymore.

Vanished itself was pretty darn engaging. I read it in one night. It's full of drama and if you happen to like really unrealistic plot twists, then this is definitely the book (and series) for you.

I don't know if I will be picking up the prequel or the next book in the series. I haven't decided. On one hand, I LOVE Kate Brian's writing style-she definitely knows how to capture a reader's attention and create a fast paced novel. On the other hand, I don't know if I can accept this sudden introduction of paranormalcy in a series that had nothing to do with the paranormal whatsoever.

It's like giving magical powers to the girls in the Babysitter's Club and expecting the reader to take it seriously. It doesn't really happen.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanished.