Erin (PT)'s Reviews > Dead Witch Walking

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: alternate-universe, cops-military, elves, lgbt, magic-users, series, urban-fantasy-horror, vamps, weres
Read from December 18 to 26, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 3

This was really a re-read for me; I'd been reading the series steadily for a while and then fell off the reading cart for a while and fell behind, so I decided to take it from the top. I was really surprised at how very little I remembered from the first time, years ago, which made it enjoyable to read because I didn't remember precisely where it was all going, but it does speak to how affecting the books are (or are not).

I think of these books as the urban fantasy lover's version of beach books. They're fast--both in plot and in time to read--highly enjoyable for the time you're reading them, but ultimately not that big a deal. Which is awesome, when you want a book to purely enjoy, without thinking too hard.

My biggest--really, only--beef with Harrison is that she's one of those authors that doesn't really give good spatial orientation, so I don't often have a good feel for where the characters are in space or relation to each other unless/until they're touching. But the stories are solid and fast-moving with a distinct, memorable set of characters (I adore the pixies best), decent dialogue and satisfying resolution. Works for me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Witch Walking.