Amy Jacobs's Reviews > Family Affair

Dec 18, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in December, 2010

This was my first book by this author even though I had heard wonderful things about her books. While I enjoyed the characters of Lacey and Jack, I felt the story had some problems along the way.

Let me first start off by saying that this is a fairly short and quick read at only 99 pages. I was able to read and finish this book within an hour. Seeing how it is a short read, maybe the author intended it to be rushed and fast paced. I just couldn't see Lacey, who has just recently divorced, rush into the relationship with JAck as fast as she did. Jack was very patient with Lacey and had been trying to pursue her for a year, yet within a matter of weeks of their cats doing the deed, they fall in love with each other. I would have liked to have seen the romance build a little more instead of within a few chapters.

As for side characters, we don't get much interaction with them. A phone call here and there and a few meetings between Lacey and Sarah, who happens to be Jack's sister. The saving grace of this book, in my opinion, was the author's humor that she portrayed in the characters. I loved how Jack wanted a dog but ended up with a cat that he names Dog!

Even though this isn't a great book in my opinion, I would still read more by this author just by the fact that everyone raves about her writing. Maybe a longer novel by her is what I need to get hooked on her books. If you are a fan of hers though, I say give it a go. If you are like me and reading her for the first time, I would go for one of her longer novels before deciding on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Affair.

Debbie I read a lot of Debbie Macomber, this is actually a reprint of an earlier book by her. So you could say she has grown a lot in her writing since 1994. She usually does the sweet gentle love/friendship stories, if you like a lot of support characters, she has several series. Cedar Cove and Blossom Street are her most popular ones, I hope you do give her another try.