Sandi Layne's Reviews > Rochester: A Novel Inspired By Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre"

Rochester by J.L. Niemann

Dec 18, 10

Read in December, 2010

I was a latecomer to Jane Eyre to begin with, but was eager to read this "alternative perspective" on her story. Male minds fascinate us all and Rochester's is no exception.

I enjoyed the passion she brought to Edward Rochester's thoughts. Very manly and, I think, worthy. I very much enjoyed her attention to the minor characters and how Rochester interacted with them, from his servants to the barracuda out to claim him as husband. Niemann really did some wonderful character studies, here. I had so much fun getting to know the other inhabitants of Thornfield.

What bothered me about this novel was that it wasn't really so much of an alternative perspective as it was a re-imagining of what might have been. AND that the novel is only part one of a series, apparently, leaving the readers standing on a cliff's edge at a major turning point in the Jane Eyre story.

So I was not as happy with the story as I thought I would be, but I see it as almost what I would term "fan fiction" of the Jane Eyre story. An Alternative Universe, really. A nearly-but-not-quite canonical approach to the classic.

Will I buy book two? I think I will...but I'm not sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rochester.